NOTICE: The FREE Child Safety Seat Check to be held on Tuesday evening, March 20th has been cancelled. If you were planning to attend, we have one scheduled for Saturday, March 10th. In April, we will go back to our normal schedule of the 2nd Saturday and 3rd Tuesday of the month.
Shade Tree Garage is no longer accepting infant and child safety seats for recycling. Please contact your municipal solid waste or public utilities department to ask about having them start a child safety seat recycling program in your area.
Free Child Safety Seat Checks Each Month at Shade Tree Garage in Morristown, NJ
Is your child seated safely and securely in the car? Know for certain when you attend one of these FREE safety seat events at Shade Tree Garage in Morristown, New Jersey:
- 2nd Saturday of the Month from 8am to Noon
- 3rd Tuesday of the Month from 5pm to 8pm
Three Ways to Attend:
1. Send us an email at safekids @ shadetreegarage dot com,
2. Call us at 973-540-9880.
3. Just drop in to the event.
How to prepare for the event:
– Be prepared to learn, not just watch the the Child Passenger Safety technician install the car seat. They are trained to teach you.
– Know your child’s weight and height.
– Bring your child with you (along with another adult to help watch your child while you are learning).
– Install the seat in your vehicle before coming to the event. Be sure to use the instructions that came with the child car seat along with the instructions in your vehicle owner’s manual about car seats.
– Bring the car seat instructions and the vehicle owner’s manual.
Why is it Important to Recycle Infant and Child Safety Seats?
Most people are unaware that car safety seats expire five to six years after production. The plastics used in these seats deteriorate over time from sun and heat exposure and the seats become unsafe for use. Also, if a car seat has been in an accident, its protective qualities may be further compromised. If you find a used car seat in a consignment or thrift shop, there’s no way of screening them to know if they have expired or been in an accident. You may be putting your child at risk.
Child Safety Seat Recycling Programs Around the Country
There are approximately one hundred car safety seat recycling programs across the country. Some of the first programs were organized by Colorado Children’s Automobile Safety Foundation, Legacy Health System in Portland Oregon, and Recycle Utah. Web searches for your state should turn up information on available programs in your area.
Child Safety Information
You can learn more about child safety at the following web sites:
Recalls for Car Seats – www.nhtsa.gov